Timeline

Timeline

1919

1919

  • Established the Civic Improvement Association (CIA) (Feb 9)
  • Decorah Republican Newspaper announced CIA’s establishment and their plans to construct a bandstand (Feb 20)
  • Dedicated Soldiers and Sailors Memorial–under construction (Jul 4)

1920

1920

  • John Vana sold the future Riverside Park property to G.F. Heuser (Feb 7)
  • Dance held at ABCS Opera Hall to raise funds for bowery–net proceeds: $6.68 (Jul 5)
  • Decided to build bowery/open-air pavilion (Aug 20)
  • Decorah Republican Newspaper announced plans to establish the Riverside Park (December 16)

1921

1921

  • Approved plans to build an open bowery (May 9)
  • Decorah Republican Newspaper announced the plans to build a permanent pavilion (May 26)
  • Completed and dedicated the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial in Wilson Square (Jul 4)

1922

1922

  • Opened Riverside Golf Links
  • Held first dance at the Riverside Pavilion (May 10)
  • Purchased park land from G. F. Heuser to establish a park (Aug 3)
  • G.F. Heiser built a cottage in Riverside Park—still standing (Aug)

1924

1924

  • Approved plans to erect Antonin Dvorak Memorial (Jul)
  • District of Prague Catholic Sokols Tournament held at Riverside Park (Aug 29-31)

1925

1925

  • Erected and dedicated the Dvorak Memorial (Sep 28)
  • Voted to add 10-sided annex to pavilion

1926

1926

Purchased uniforms for Spillville Band

1927

1927

Purchased concert grand piano

1928

1928

Held the Public Gymnastic Exhibition at the Riverside Park (Jun 10)

1929

1929

  • Completed 10-sided pavilion annex
  • Adopted Dvorak Highway signage project

1930

1930

Added south side orchestra stage and latticed ceiling

1931

1931

Incorporated as a non-profit organization (May 31)

1932

1932

Mrs. Tillie Meyer donated the footbridge

1933

1933

  • Experienced massive flood damage from the Turkey River (Apr)
  • Held annual Dvorak Music Festival–40th anniversary (Sep 17)

1934

1934

  • J.C. Wagner made small tables for the dining room
  • Added wings beyond the fireplaces east and west of the dance floor

1935

1935

  • The Cedar Rapids Symphony performed at the Dvorak Music Festival
  • Replaced the pine dance floor with hard maple–installed 4,320 sq. ft.
  • Built a bandstand north of The Inwood (where picnic shelter is located)
  • St. Wenceslaus Church and Parish held Diamond Jubilee event at The Inwood/Riverside Park (Sep 28-30)

1936

1936

Purchased additional property for Riverside Park

1937

1937

  • Established the Lily Pond: plastered and drilled pump by chain link
  • Purchased additional property for Riverside Park
  • Luther College Band performed at the Dvorak Music Festival

1938

1938

  • Purchased an additional 12 acres–22 acres total
  • Luther College Band performed at the Dvorak Music Festival
  • Graded the ball diamond
  • Added Japanese lanterns to dance hall decor

1939

1939

A.G. Snowden Band performed at the Dvorak Music Festival

1940

1940

  • Membership grew to 42
  • Reshingled the roof
  • Featured “Old Time” bands on Tuesday nights and ballroom dancing on Thursday nights (1940s)

1946

1946

Dance admission reached $0.65

1948

1948

Remodeled the pavilion and put “The Inwood” in neon lights

1950

1950

Hall rental was $30.00 per night

1951

1951

Installed auxiliary light plant

1952

1952

  • Redecorated The Inwood
  • Hall rental was $40

1953

1953

  • Father Flanagan’s Boy’s Town Choir Concert (Sep)
  • Built booths on west side of dance floor (Sep)

1954

1954

Purchased compressor, popcorn machine, and ice machine

1955

1955

  • Built booths on the east side of dance floor
  • Adopted the slogan: Dance and Stay Young

1959

1959

Purchased an additional 2 acres–24 acres total

1960

1960

  • First Teen Hop (May 27)
  • Added center oval island in dining room
  • Moved the bar to the west wall
  • Moved the kitchen to the north end
  • Moved the front entrance and ticket booth further north
  • Built (extended existing) booths on the east side

1963

1963

Constructed G.F. Heiser Memorial by Lily Pond

1965

1965-1970

Temporarily discontinued Independence Day Celebration

1971

1971

Reinstated annual Independence Day Celebration

1976

1976

  • Dedicated G.F. Heiser plaque
  • Installed lights on ball diamond

1978

1978

Remodeling: removed dining room center island

1981

1981

Renewed 50-year Articles of Incorporation in perpetuity

1982

1982

Built picnic shelter north of The Inwood

1983

1983

Fenced ball diamond

1985

1985

Replaced maple dance floor

1988

1988

Build concession stand near ball diamond bleachers

1990

1990

Adopted open membership

1993

1993

  • Held a 3-day centennial celebration of Antonin Dvorak’s visit in 1893 (Aug 6-8)
  • Rededicated Dvorak Memorial and Dvorak Highway
  • Experienced extensive flood damage to grounds and building (Aug 15)

1994

1994

  • Repaired The Inwood roof
  • Planted row of spruce trees north of ball diamond–parallel to B16 (Spring)
  • Participated in the Spillville Celebration: Bily Brothers and 100 years of Incorporation/140 Years of Settlement (Jul 15-17)

1995

1995

  • Planted a 2nd row of spruce trees–totaling 52
  • Celebrated 75 Years of Inwood Memories (Jul 13-16)

2008

2008

Experienced extensive flood damage (Jun 8)

2013

2013

  • Built entry/awning and handicap-accessible bathroom
  • Held fundraiser to raise money for flood-damaged floors (Nov 1)

2014

2014

  • Held fundraiser to raise money for flood-damaged floors (May 2-3)
  • Replaced the dining room floor

2016

2016

Experienced extensive flood damage (Aug 24)

2017

2017

Held fundraiser to raise money for the roof (Sep)

2018

2018

Turkey River rose to 14.42 feet (flood stage is 9 feet)

2019

2019

Repaired and reshingled The Inwood roof (Jun)